Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Reflection


6/18/12

I greatly enjoyed tonight's lesson (although it did make me realize how much I don't know about using technology to foster communication between the school and community).

First, I really enjoyed learning about the observation computer program that the Professor uses in his school. Before learning about the program, the prospect of observing tens (or hundreds) of teachers seemed very daunting (and quite impossible). However, after the Professor gave us a "tour" of the program, I realized that observing teachers throughout the year can be a feasible task.  The program also seemed like a wonderful organizational tool for administrators.

Second, I really enjoyed the activity where a classmate needed to get the entire class to stand up at the same time by asking the class: "What do I need to do to make you stand up?" I am currently a teacher at a school that demands a tremendous amount from the teachers without any regard to their needs or wants. In Chapter Five of School Community Relations, the authors discuss the importance of having the school board, superintendent, and administrators recognize teachers and address their needs in order to foster positive school-community relations. Teachers are at the frontline of education; without them, schools do not exist. Yet, they are often the first people to be overlooked in many school systems. This activity definitely helped me understand how a collaborative administer behaves toward his/her teachers and staff. I appreciate this class as I get to learn what an administer should do as opposed to only learning what not to do as an administrator-I have plenty of that type of learning taking place already!