Thursday, June 21, 2012

reflection on Wed.6/20

Danielson's components of professional practice are a great way to inform good instruction.I believe that I have said on a previous post that I love rubrics. They clearly state criteria and ratings.The process of making a teacher more effective takes time and effort. We learned that a  leader should not state what should be changed. Rather the teacher is asked, once a problem is noted,how they could have done it differently. That way they get to "own' the solution.

Our class provides so many tips! The "buy the kid a pizza" really illustrated the need for clear communication.

The guest speaker was so chilled yet exuded a professional demeanor in executing his responsibilities.
What resonated with me was, even when correcting a teacher, more is gained by doing it privately, because even if you are totally right, the audience will say that their colleague was disrespected. I worked in a high school where the principal echoed the same sentiment about disciplining inappropriate students publicly.It was an eye-opener for me that faculty members at a meeting would jump to blame rather than accept the deserved response,   and move on. The interpersonal relations is a key factor. It is more effective to deal with non-compliance privately and avoid public confrontation and conflict.

Finally, I loved the link for summarization and  I plan on using the ideas with my students.