Tuesday, June 26, 2012

reflection

Last night we discussed two points that I'd like to address.

The concept and importance of the elevator pitch was mentioned. I found the concept very interesting. There have been times at work that I was placed in a position where I could have done the elevator pitch, but hesitated because I was caught off guard. I now realize how crucial it is to have some sort of mental script in mind and utilize it when applicable.

 During the Chapter 7 presentation, we discussed the importance of improving staff relations. One of the points highlighted, was to give employees information about what is going on in the school before they hear about it from the public. This cannot be stated enough!! I recall a situation that happened a few years ago highlighting this issue.  I was chatting with my neighbor who was a teacher in my son's school.  I casually questioned why school was ending 2 days later than originally planned. It came as a complete shock to the teacher, she had absolutely no idea. Talk about embarrassment on several fronts!